Get connected

Board of Education – West Hartford ...Part One: Reflection on Module Articles and Board of Education Meeting Attendance

This week’s module articles and video titles shed light on the importance of home/school connections in education. The articles emphasized how fostering strong partnerships between schools and families can positively impact student achievement and well-being. One key takeaway was the significance of open communication channels between educators and parents, as well as the value of involving families in their children’s learning journey.

Watching a Board of Education meeting provided me with firsthand insight into how educational policies and decisions are made at the district level. While the topics discussed at the meeting varied, ranging from budget changes to curriculum updates, I found several connections to our course content on home/school connections. For instance, discussions about actions aimed at increasing parental involvement in school activities connected with the importance of building strong home/school partnerships. Additionally, conversations about providing resources and support for families facing socio-economic challenges highlighted the need for schools to be mindful of the diverse backgrounds and needs of their students’ families when fostering connections.

Overall, watching the Board of Education meeting reinforced the significance of home/school connections in education and highlighted the importance of collaborative efforts between educators, families, and the broader community to support student success.

Part Two: Communication Plan for Families

As a future elementary teacher, I understand the important role that effective communication with families plays in supporting student learning and development. Here’s a brief plan outlining how I intend to communicate with families:

1. Welcome Letter: At the beginning of the school year, I will send out a welcome letter introducing myself, sharing my teaching philosophy, and inviting families to partner with me in their child’s education.
  2. Monthly Newsletters: I will send out monthly newsletters to keep families informed about classroom happenings, upcoming events, and important dates. These newsletters will also include tips for supporting learning at home and resources for further engagement.
  3. Parent-Teacher Conferences: I will schedule regular parent-teacher conferences to discuss students’ progress, strengths, and areas for growth. During these meetings, I will actively listen to parents concerns and insights, and collaboratively set goals for their child’s academic and social-emotional development.
  4. Classroom Website: I will maintain a classroom website or online platform where families can access important information, resources, and updates about their child’s learning journey. This platform will also serve as a space for parents to communicate with me and each other, fostering a sense of community.
  5. Volunteer Opportunities: I will provide opportunities for parents to volunteer in the classroom or participate in school events. By involving families in various aspects of school life, I aim to strengthen our partnership and create a supportive learning environment for all students.

By implementing these communication strategies, I hope to establish positive relationships with families, promote transparency and collaboration, and ultimately contribute to the academic success and well-being of my students.

Dec 1 Wayne Board of Education Meeting ...References:

Aguilar, E. (2011, September 23). 20 Tips for Developing Positive Relationships with Parents. Edutopia. https://www.edutopia.org/blog/20-tips-developing-positive-relationships-parents-elena-aguilarLinks to an external site.

Borovoy, A.E. (2012, November 2). 5-Minute Film Festival: Parent-Teacher Partnerships. Edutopia. https://www.edutopia.org/blog/film-festival-parent-teacher-partnerships

Breiseth, L. (2021, August). Communicating with ELL Families: 10 Strategies for Schools. National Education Association. https://www.nea.org/professional-excellence/student-engagement/tools-tips/communicating-ell-families-10-strategiesLinks to an external site.

Family Engagement: Resource Roundup (2010, July 14). Edutopia. https://www.edutopia.org/home-school-connections-resourcesLinks to an external site.

Vestal’s 21st Centory Classroom (2021, August 22).  9 Ways to Communicate with Parents for Teachers // INCREASE parent communication!. YouTube. https://youtu.be/8aHJkRXgbcE

One thought on “Get connected”

1. Hey Alyssa,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog for this week! It was both informative and interesting. I really enjoyed reading about the connections you made between the material in the course on relationships between the family and school, to the observations you made in the Board of Ed. meeting. I also enjoyed reading about your communication plan. I think it is important to have proactive communication with your families of the students, to show that you are involved and to also keep families informed.